Representative John Torbett has been married to his wife Viddia for 36 years. They have a daughter and two grandsons. In December of 2001, Representative Torbett became a candidate for The Gaston County Board of Commissioners representing the Riverbend Township. In 2002, the citizens of Gaston County elected Representative Torbett by a 2-to-1 margin to become their Riverbend Township Commissioner. He was re-elected in November 2006 by a similar margin and completed his eight-year term of service honorably in December 2010.
Representative Torbett was unchallenged in the 2010, 2012, 2014, and 2016 Primary and General Election cycle and currently serves as Representative of The Peoples’ House District 108 in the North Carolina General Assembly, which encompasses most of Eastern Gaston County. His committee work spans a myriad of complex issues where he applies his strengths and focus to the people of the 108th district and those throughout North Carolina.
2015-2016 NCGA Session Committee Appointments
- Chairman – Appropriations Committee on Transportation
- Chairman – House Select Committee on Strategic Transportation Planning and Long Term Funding Solutions
- Chairman – Joint Legislative Transportation Oversight Committee
- Chairman – Transportation
- Vice Chairman – Appropriations
- Vice Chairman – Rules
- Member – Appropriations Committee on Information Technologies
- Member – Commerce and Job Development
- Member – Elections
- Member – Judiciary IV
- Advisor – Joint Legislative Oversight on Health and Human Services